When caring for your dog, you’ll need to make sure that you invest in the quality products for him to stay comfortable and secure. One of these things would be the best dog beds! They have a lot of benefits you can reap without breaking the bank.
But with the thousands of dog beds available, which one should you get for your dog? Read on as I show you the ultimate purchasing guide for the best dog beds!
Why Should You Invest in the Best Dog Beds?
Investing in a dog bed is crucial and should be one of the first things you should purchase for your dog. It’s just as important as buying his dog food or cage! Why?
Imagine sleeping on the cold floor every night. Not so comfortable, isn’t it? It’s similar to how your dog feels! If he sleeps on the floor of your bed or outside the wet grass, chances are he’d get sick more or become more prone to orthopedic issues as he grows older. Not only that, but he’ll feel either neglected or grumpy because of the inadequate sleep he had.
Purchasing a plush dog bed will also keep him away from your bed. It will assure you that your dog is safe and sound, sleeping without any worries. Sure, they can take up a bit of space, depending on the size you’re getting. But compared to your dog sleeping poorly on the floor or your bed, it’s worth making that investment. It has a lot of health benefits your dog can take advantage of, as well as the many sizes and designs to choose from. All that without the huge price tag!
Top 8 Best Dog Beds 2020
Based on research, testing, and overall customer reputation, here are the top eight best dog beds you can invest in today:
Big Barker offers the simply designed pet bed with the bulky filling and cute colors. Though it has extra padding and filling, it looks luxurious with the most premium of quality and handiwork. The foam will retain at least 90% of its shape for TEN YEARS. It looks and feels as soft as it is with the proper support and durability to last for years.
The bed is lightweight and easy to move around. It can fit giant dogs to multiple small ones with ease. The price may seem steep, but because it lasts for years and will keep your dog comfortable for a whole lifetime, it’s worth the investment.
- Ultra-soft but supportive
- Durable material to last for years
- Machine washable
- Very filled padding
- Beautiful design with different colors
- Gets warm easily
- Expensive price
- Slightly stiff fabri
What makes BarksBar one of the best dog beds would have to be its orthopedic features that make it extra comfortable and supportive for your dog. It comes with the soft cotton-padded run cushion and a non-slip bottom to keep your dog inside the bed without him waking up in discomfort.
You can choose between medium and large sizes, with the large size fitting a dog of up to 100 pounds! You can also fit in multiple small dogs to save money and space.
The bed is made out of premium materials and the top-of-the-line craft you need for a dog bed, perfect for any dog. I love its quilted and luxurious design, so it doesn’t only feel good for the dog, but also improves my bedroom’s interior design as well!
For its large size and quality material and design, I can say that it’s well worth the price you pay for. I would recommend this to anyone who has small or large dogs alike!
- Ideal for large dogs or multiple small puppies
- Premium and soft materials for comfort
- Orthopedic bed for extra support
- Non-slip bottom for safety and protection
- Excellent design
- Easy to assemble for cleaning
- Zipper might split while washing
- Slightly more expensive than other beds
- Sides begin to flop over time
This is a simple dog mat or pillow that’s ideal for dogs who LOVE to stretch out. Through its sideless design, your dogs won’t have interrupted sleep because of his sides, nor will the bed be a waste because of his damaging the bed’s walls. Despite is having no sides, it’s still very comfortable and can fit dog crates, depending on the size you choose.
There are eight sizes to choose from, about four to six inches apart from each different measurement. The standard 24-inch is ideal for dogs who weigh up to 25 pounds and is very easy to maintain. You can use the laundry machine or dryer for cleaning, saving time and effort.
The cover itself is made our of ultra-soft synthetic fur, which is reversible to make it even easier to clean and maintain. No need to always clean it since you can just reverse the covers. As for the bed, it’s made our of poly fiber, extra-stuffed for better comfort and sleep.
For its affordable price and a manufacturer’s warranty, it’s a nice purchase for those who prefer a mat or big pillow for your dog and his crate.
- Various sizes to choose from
- Ideal for dog crates
- Reversible cover that’s machine and dryer safe
- Ultra soft and extra stuffed bed for added comfort
- Affordable price
- Thinner than the standard dog bed
- Might tear off easily for dogs who love chewing
- Looks better in crates than in rooms
The Coolaroo is an elevated pet bed made out of knitted fabric for both comfort and ventilation. While it doesn’t have the extra padding for a soft sleep, it allows your pet to stay cool during the warm weather because of its off-the-ground design. Take note that it would elevate your pets about seven inches above the ground.
But just because of its elevation doesn’t mean your pet won’t benefit from it. It still stays comfortable through making low-impact areas to pressure points and joints, keeping your dog safe from injury. The breathable fabric reduces any hotspots and is resistant to fleas and mildew. Plus, the material is very easy to clean and maintain.
The frame is made out of powder-coated steel for durability and support for any dog. Plus, it’s lightweight and easy to transport, may it be for indoor or outdoor use.
I would recommend this dog bed for pet owners living in a warmer climate and needs something to last for years!
- Durable and made out of the sturdy steel to take on any dog
- Easy to wash and maintain fabric
- Material is resistant to fleas, mites, mold, and mildew
- Portable design and ideal for traveling or moving around
- Fabric helps eliminate hot spots while creating low-impact areas for dog’s pressure points
- Affordable price
- Greenguard certified- eco-friendly dog bed
- Might not suit all dogs because of its elevation and padless design
- A bit difficult to assemble with its screws
The Brindle bed is your basic pillow or dog mat but with extra padding and made out of memory foam, making it more comfortable for older dogs or those with orthopedic problems. The three-inch layer can eliminate a lot of pressure points your dog may suffer from. Not only can this help with your dog’s muscles and joints, but it can also increase his breathability as well.
The bed has a soft and supportive consistency that helps balance your dog’s weight, adding pressure to relieve his painful joints. It’s also lightweight and ideal for traveling or moving around. You can add it to your dog crate with ease. You can choose between different sizes, making it suitable for dogs of any size or weight.
The cover is made out of microsuede that you can easily remove and wash in the machine. It comes with a three-year warranty as well, making it worth the price for a memory foam bed safe for dogs.
- Memory foam bed to relieve achy joints and muscles
- Large enough for big dogs or multiple small ones
- Keeps odor away
- Cover is very durable and soft- made to withstand washes and intense use
- Comfortable and soft but supportive bed
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Issue for dogs who love to choose
- Cover isn’t waterproof
- Bed slides when on tiled floors
This bolster bed is best for any type of dog who want something secure. It comes with many different sizes and designs that make it a good purchase. Plus points for its very cute design that makes any room look nice and plush! I love the fact that it’s for older dogs and small dogs alike, with its comfort and support. It keeps your dog cozy and warm. The bed itself is machine and dryer safe, made out of ultra soft fleece and polyester.
This bed is best for those dogs who live in a colder climate because of its rich material and soft bedding. It would feel like he’s being snuggled all the time with its versatile and reliable construction! It relieves pressure points while providing the support he needs, especially if your dog suffers from joint problems.
With its cute and soft design, I would recommend this for dogs who need something warm for smaller or older dogs.
- Very affordable price
- Comfy and very soft for all pets to love
- Warm and plush design to look cute in any room
- Can clean through machine and dryer
- Adjusts to body temperature
- Sizes great for dog crates
- Walls are smaller than other types of bolster beds
- Gets dirty quickly
- Fur fiber of the bed sticks out
What’s great about the Majestic Pet Bagel Bed is its cool design. It can come in various colors and has the plush bedding to look great in just about any room. It had the awesome basic pattern with the thick and snug look you, and your dog will appreciate. Another plus is the fact that you can toss the whole bed inside the washing machine for it to clean itself. You can choose between different sizes as well, fitting any dog size.
This is one dog bed I would recommend for dog owners who want a plush bed with beautiful designs and the waterproof feature you need for older dogs or pets who can’t control their bladder.
- Different sizes and colors to choose from
- Adorable and cool design
- Soft bagel shape for comfort
- Waterproof and machine washable
- Fabric feels synthetic
- Fabric feels stiff and loosens up in time
The PetFusion Pet Bed is one of the most comfortable ones perfect for ANY room or dog crate! It’s made out of ultra-soft but solid memory foam for better support and reduced joint pain. It’s also water and tear resistant, so it works for any type of dog, may they have uncontrolled bladder or love to chew.
I do appreciate its thick bedding and how soft it can be. The bed is also easy to wash since all you need to do is throw it in the machine and let it clean and dry itself.
It comes in four different designs for you to choose from, ideal for dogs of all sizes and weights. I would recommend this for all pet owners who want a modern design and bolster bed. It’s great for any dog size and many people have expressed their dogs’ love for it, especially when stretching!
- Modern design that looks good in any room
- Different sizes and desks to choose from
- Memory foam for added comfort and support
- Water and tear resistant
- Easy to wash
- Slightly thin fabric
- More expensive than other dog beds
- Hard to zip up covers
Benefits of Owning a Dog Bed
How exactly can the best dog bed give you and your dog anyway? Here are the benefits owning a comfortable dog bed:
1. Insulation – Like mentioned, it sucks having your dog sleep on the floor! Not only is it hard, but it’s also freezing as well, especially during the windy and snowy days. With a plush and warm bed, your dog will remain warm all night and stay comfortable with no chance of getting any colds or illnesses from the temperature.
2. Security and Privacy – Your dog’s territory is important to him. Now that he has a little place on his own, he’ll be able to retreat and lounge without worry or feeling danger. Your dog will appreciate the fact that he has his space.
3. Controls Hair Loss – Hate the fact that your dog always scratches his fur all over your bed or on the floor? Since your dog will lounge or sleep on his bed, most of his hair will shed in one location: His bed. Many beds offer replacement covers and those that quickly collect hair for you to wash it when needed.
4. Prevents Injury – Instead of your puppy sleeping on high couches (which can cause damage!), he can sleep on his comfortable dog bed on the ground. It also prevents any bone or body pain problems in the long run, since your dog will sleep on a supportive bed instead of hard and cold ground.
It cushions your dog’s joints and bones, making it feel relaxing. It’s best for older or overweight dogs or those with joint problems. For younger dogs, it prevents any bone problems as he grows up, so he becomes a healthy dog who can still move around a lot despite his age.
5. Protection and Comfort – The number one benefit a dog bed can do would be to provide the support your dog needs for sleeping. With the soft surface, your dog can sleep comfortably and happily.
6. No More Sharing Beds – Instead of having to share beds with your dog, he has his own. Now, you won’t need to worry about getting allergies upon waking up, nor will you be disturbed by your pet’s constant kicking or moving around the bed. Your dog will grow to become independent without having a hard time to sleep without you.
How to Ease Your Dog Into His New Bed
Your dog may feel a bit hesitant when getting into his new bed. To help him out, here are some tips you can follow:
- Make sure to wash the dog cover frequently, so your dog will feel comfortable in it. Make sure always to wash his dog bed once a week, especially if he sheds heavily or plays outside. You can either use a washing machine or wash by hand for bed covers. Vacuuming it until it’s free of fur will also help.
- If your dog is used to sleeping in your bed with you, slowly ease him into the dog bed by giving him treats while in the bed. Putting his favorite toys on his bed will also help.
- You can train him to stay in his bed by gently pushing him or picking him up whenever he’s on yours. Remember to say no while doing so. If he’s persistent, squirt his face with water and let him know that your bed is off limits.
- Take note that letting your dog sleep in his bed would take time, so be patient and let him slowly learn that he has his space to sleep in now.
How to Purchase the Best Dog Bed?
Now that you know what a dog bed can do for your pet, how can you choose the best one for him to sleep in? Here are the valuable tips and factors to consider when selecting a dog bed:
1. Size and Shape
To determine the size and shape your dog bed should be, observe the way your pet sleeps. Measure his size and get a dog bed slightly bigger than that for added comfort. Many dog beds offer precise measurements or standard sizes to fit specific measurements and weights.
Consider how much space you can allot for a dog bed as well, determining which room your dog will sleep in. There are beds in various shapes, with each of them having their advantages:
- A pillow bed is more suitable for large dogs that love to stretch or move around.
- Donut beds help your dog feel more secure and warm, suitable for smaller dogs.
- A nest bed is similar to a donut bed, but with higher sides that retain heat, which is ideal for those who need a warmer bed.
- Bolster beds are mini sofas with raised edges and best for dogs who like big pillows, through more expensive and will take up space.
- Cave-style beds are ideal for dogs who love added security or want to hide while sleeping.
- Hammock beds are better for cleaning and maintenance, also better for dogs who need something to let cold air flow. BUT, these beds don’t have much padding, and they are elevated, making it difficult for some dogs.
2. Weather or Room Temperature
If your dog sleeps in cool climates, you can opt for more plush material or those made out of warmer fabric. Sleek and faux suede are more appropriate for dogs living in warmer climates.
For dogs that have thick hair or sleep in warmer room temperatures, you can opt for cooling pads or elevated cots made with breathable mesh that can let the air flow correctly. Heavier fabrics are ideal for those who need something to warm up their dog, such as berber or fleece.
3. Type of Dog Bed
Consider the material and type of dog bed you’re purchasing. If your dog suffers from conditions that affect his bones, then you should opt for an orthopedic bed, which offers more support. Other types of material would be memory foam beds that can hold on to odor and shape your dog’s position, which can be more comfortable for your dog.
As for material, you might want a waterproof dog bed for dogs who are older and can’t control their bladder. Cedar-filled beds repel odor and have a pleasing scent, which would be beneficial for you and your dog if he sleeps in the bedroom. You can also try hypoallergenic dog covers, which are best for sensitive dogs.
You can choose the right material for your dogs based on where he sleeps. If he likes sleeping on your bed with smooth fabric, choose one with softer material. If your dog prefers a slightly nappy texture and sleeps on carpets, go for denim or “harder” textured fabric.
You might also want something environmental-friendly, especially if you are vegan or inclined towards an earth-conscious lifestyle.
5. Ease of Cleaning and Maintenance
Choose a bed that’s easy to clean and maintain, with covers that are made to help control odor, fleas, fur, and dirt. It’s best to find covers that are machine-washable or at least quick to hand wash. Take note that you should wash covers and dog beds at twice a month.
6. Indoor or Outdoor?
Will you be placing the bed in your room or outside the house? There are dog beds that can work for the yard or in your pet’s cage.
You can find beds made out of waterproof covers or have the stronger material to withstand the outdoor conditions. If you are using it for inside the house, you can use a regular dog bed.
I recommend you NOT to scrimp on a dog bed since they would lack quality. But do NOT overpay for a dog bed either, especially if you think it will break your bank! Dog beds can range between $10 to $300 on average, set a reasonable price budget for yourself. After that, start your search based on how much you can pay.
Your dog deserves the best, and not jet in food and toys. To help your dog sleep well and get the energy he needs for the day ahead, you’ll need to make sure you invest in the best dog bed. Not only are these for dogs who have orthopedic conditions, but it’s also an investment all dog owners must make for your dog to sleep soundly and without worry about him going to your bed!
Out of all the dog beds reviewed, the Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed is the grand winner for its snug features that allow any dog to sleep in peace. It has the large dimensions to fit ANY large dog, as well as the premium materials for overall comfort and support. The soft material is sturdy enough to last, and with all its features that help with your dog’s overall positioning and support, it’s worth the price!
I hope that this article on the best dog beds helped you become more knowledgeable on what you should invest in today. So what are you waiting for? Invest in the best today and reap the many benefits it has to offer for both you and your dog.
If you have any questions or would like to share your reviews on any of the best dog beds, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.