When renovating your home, you must have the best furniture. Not only should they look good, but they also need to be of good use. One of the essentials needed in every home would be the best garbage disposal. After all, where else will you throw your waste?
So if you’re wondering what you need in a garbage disposal and why it’s a must-have for your home, then read on as I show you the top eight best ones to choose from!
- 1 The Lowdown on Garbage Disposals
- 2 Why Are Garbage Disposals Awesome?
- 3 How to Choose the Best Garbage Disposal
- 4 Using and Maintaining Your Home’s Garbage Disposal
- 5 Top 8 Best Garbage Disposal Reviews 2018
- 5.1 1. InSinkErator Badget 5 Garbage Disposal
- 5.2 Pros :
- 5.3 Cons :
- 5.4 2. Kitchen Aid KCDB250G 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
- 5.5 Pros :
- 5.6 Cons :
- 5.7 3. Waste King Legend Series 1 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
- 5.8 Pros :
- 5.9 Cons :
- 5.10 4. Whirlaway 291 1/2 Horsepower Garbage Disposer
- 5.11 Pros :
- 5.12 Cons :
- 5.13 5. Whirlpool GC2000XE 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
- 5.14 Pros :
- 5.15 Cons :
- 5.16 6. Emerson Evergrind E202 Food Waster Disposer, 1/2 Horsepower, 1-Pack
- 5.17 Pros :
- 5.18 Cons :
- 5.19 7. Moen 1/2 Horsepower Garbage Disposal GX Series (GX50C)
- 5.20 Pros :
- 5.21 Cons :
- 5.22 8. General Electric GFC520V 1/2 Horsepower Continuous Feed Disposal Large Capacity Food Waste Disposer
- 5.23 Pros :
- 5.24 Cons :
- 6 In Conclusion
The Lowdown on Garbage Disposals
If you’re wondering about what a garbage disposal is, it isn’t like the usual trash can or container where you throw away your waste. Garbage disposals are (usually) electric-powered devices, which are installed under the kitchen sink between the drain and trap. This device would shred food and other waste to pieces, which would be small enough to pass through the plumbing.
This is optimal when washing dishes, as you would usually have food waste when washing dishes, or other forms of sediment and dirt when cleaning. These devices are used in many households in the United States, but not as common in other countries.
Why Are Garbage Disposals Awesome?
You’re probably wondering: Why would one need a garbage disposal in the first place? Isn’t the waste disposal good enough? I would have to disagree here! A garbage disposal comes with a ton of advantages, such as:
1. Better Environmentb
A garbage disposal will shred sediments and particles found in your sink, so it is environment-friendly in such a way that you won’t be spoiling your surroundings with rotting waste. Plus, it’s better hygiene for your home, without the stink or health hazards from the contaminating and toxic smell. You’ll enjoy a better household this way!
Through including the small scraps of food into your garbage disposal, you can save a bag of trash from going into the landfill, which not only saves on space but the build-up of fumes that harm the environment. It decreases the gasses which pass through from all the trash.
2. Less Stink In the House
Because you won’t be throwing out food waste and other dirt in the trash, you’ll worry less about the smell or amount of spoiled garbage wafting in your home. The whole household and visitors won’t be scrunching up their noses in disgust, and you get to sit in comfort without thinking of taking out the trash!
3. Quicker Cleanup
Does anyone even like the job of taking out the trash-filled with wet gunk from food or whatnot? I don’t think so! Through using a garbage disposal to shred and flush down the smelly sediments and leftover bits of food, it will be easier to clean up the dishes and segregate the trash in your home.
No more roaches or pests that will bother you if you pulverize the food waste instead of putting it in trash bags, which attract insects. Plus, no more bacteria or the need for a garbage can under the sink, which smells and looks icky (with the possibility of contamination!).
4. Lessen Problems With Plumbing
The problem with many households is that their sink tends to clog up with food particles, so they either have to look very carefully with what they wash unless they want to deal with clogged sinks or plumbing issues. A quality garbage disposal won’t have any problem with that since you can wash without scraping off small particles of food anymore or worry about clogging up the drain.
What’s impressive about these waste disposals is that there is no need to spend a lot on maintenance. They are affordable, do good for the environment, and are easy to clean. You also get to save up on expensive plumbing repairs if ever the drain isn’t able to push down any food waste.
How to Choose the Best Garbage Disposal
Choosing the best garbage disposal isn’t just about getting the best one you see online! It will take a bit of research and considerations. Here are some ups and factors to look up on when selecting a garbage disposal:
1. Regulations – Some neighborhoods or areas may not allow a garbage disposal, which depends on the plumbing and sewer lines. Check up on how the plumbing is in your neighborhood, asking the local community if this is permitted. But if you are just replacing your old garbage disposal, then there’s nothing to worry about.
2. Plumbing – Not only should you check your local community, but your plumbing as well. There are some existing plumbing that won’t be compatible with a garbage disposal, so you will need to have your fixtures checked to see what disposals are best with your drainage system, as well as an electrical outlet to plug the disposal with. If ever, you may need to hire a plumber or electrician to help you out.
3. Motor Size – The motor size is also important to take note of, which will depend on the size of your sink and the amount of waste you’ll be disposing of. Small garbage disposals that have a 1/3 horsepower is good for single people in a small apartment. For families, you may need something more powerful, like 1/2 horsepower. For bigger homes with a lot of people, consider one that has a 1 horsepower motor. That way, the disposal can handle waste without the motor burning out too quickly.
The motor or disposal itself should come with a manual reset button just in case it needs to have a hard reset if things go awry.
4. Stainless Steel – You would want to have a garbage disposal that’s made out of the strong and durable material to withstand waste. I recommend stainless steel blades, which are hard, sharp, and last longer. It also grinds food more finely, lessening the chances of clogs.
I recommend that you have a corrosion protection shield with your disposal, which will help the disposal last longer.
5. Dishwasher Attachment – For this who have dishwashers, then you’ll need a disposal that also has the dishwasher attachment so the food from your dishwasher will be flushed into the disposal, making it easier to clean up.
6. Feed Type – There are two main types of garbage disposals, the continuous or batch feed. The continuous feeds are common and very easy to use, which use a switch to turn it on or off. Batch feed disposals would place the waste in a chamber and need to be closed with a lid to pulverize the food. The batch feed is expensive but safer if your hands are usually down the knife blades, though if you can handle and take care, then the continuous feed is just fine.
7. Noise – This is an extra feature that will do you a lot of good, especially if you are trying to be quiet during the night! It’s better to have a silent motor that lessens the disturbance around a busy household. Plus, it will do great for the ears.
Using and Maintaining Your Home’s Garbage Disposal
Now that you know all about garbage disposals, the next question is: how will you be able to use and maintain the garbage disposal for it to work for an extended period? Here are some tips to follow:
- Make sure that you keep anything tough or too hard away from the disposal, as this will cause the shredder to become duller and less efficient. After all, small and hard objects would jam at its parts. Don’t add hard shells from crabs or other shellfish, popcorn kernels, or bones.
- Avoid putting starchy or fibrous items into the disposal, as this will block the drain from the tangled fibers or thick starch. If ever, cut it into small pieces. If possible, don’t add it at all (namely banana peels, celery, potato peelings, or corn cobs).
- Do not put other forms of trash in the disposal, like rubber bands, glass, hair, or grease.
- I would recommend that you put only small and soft items down the drain. Cut up larger pieces if ever.
- While the disposal is on, run cold water for about one minute after you have cleared the drain of the waste. This helps prevent the motor from overheating. Do NOT use hot water.
- Clean the disposal regularly, wiping it off with a paper towel. You can also throw ice, which knocks off debris buildup. To freshen the dispose of, put chopped orange peels or citrus rinds.
Top 8 Best Garbage Disposal Reviews 2018
Based on my research, testing, and overall customer reputation, here’re the top eight best garbage disposals to invest in today:
What makes the InSinkErator one of the top I would recommend is its fantastic price-to-quality ratio. With its compact and reliable body with the excellent performance, it’s quite affordable and worth the price. It has a powerful motor and the easy installation, as the package comes with everything you need and without the need to hire a plumber, may it be for installing a disposal for the first time or replacing an old one.
The blades are made of polished stainless steel and will be able to cut through almost anything without the hassle or worry of it getting dull. The motor is just right for a family of four to six people. All in all, it’s a great deal that comes from a reputable company I can trust.
- Easy to install and assemble
- Stainless steel blades that grind efficiently
- Makes no noise
- Powerful motor for bigger families
- Has a two-year warranty
- Compact and durable body
- Leaks after a few years
- No corrosion protection
Kitchen Aid is a reputable brand that takes pride in their equipment, and I can say that this garbage disposal is no exception. This is a continuous feed type, which makes it quick to clean up when washing dishes. The motor is 1/2 horsepower, making it big and powerful enough for small families. When you use it, the electrical switch quickly turns on without stalling, and the disposal grinds efficiently and without any noise or dullness.
The disposal is almost effortless to install, easy to put in whether you are installing a new one or replacing an old disposal. The body itself is also made of the solid construction that makes me confident that it will last for long. A huge yes to investing in this continuous feed!
- Solid and high-quality material
- Easy to put in and install
- Powerful and efficient in grinding
- No stalling when turned on
- Durable and lasts for years
- No noise
- Might start leaking without any signs
- Body is shorter than some disposals
For those who need an even stronger motor for big groups of people in the household, then consider the Waste King, which has a 1 HP motor. It also comes with a power cord for easy installation and plugging in. The mount makes it effortless to put in the disposal, coming with a removable splash guard, so it’s easy to clean and without worry of breaking it from any accidents while doing so. You won’t need ANY professional help, as the pre-installed cord requires no electrical work.
As for its performance, I am amazed at its magnet motor, which isn’t only powerful and efficient but does NOT make any noise as well. It’s sound-insulated and doesn’t jam. That way, you have assured no disturbance regarding noise or repairs. It’s easy to maintain and use, so I would say it’s worth what you pay for and more.
- Easy to install
- Makes no noise
- No jams or maintenance issues
- Grinds food excellently
- Effortless to clean
- Flange is made of plastic
- Opening is small
If you’re looking for something that’s both affordable and efficient, then the Whirlaway is your best bet. It’s less expensive compared to other garbage disposal models, but it has no issues with either performance or design. The unit itself is compact and saves up on space, made with the corrosion-resistant grinding components for assured durability. It also has the mouth system for quick and easy installation on almost any type of sink.
It works like a charm and without the hefty price tag, doing the basic yet excellent job of grinding food waste. It will surely last for years and no hassle of having to replace or repair it anytime soon. Overall, it’s worth the purchase for those on a budget!
- Affordable price
- Easy to mount and install
- Durable and built to last
- Excellent performance grinds well
- Small and compact design
- There’s no electrical cord
- Some complaints about it being noisy
This is another affordable garbage disposal that does the quick and easy job with the advanced features. The first thing I noticed about the Whirlpool disposal was its sleek and stylish design, so I know that what I got was something durable and long-lasting. It’s made out of the stainless steel sink flange and a plastic stopper, with its wheel and shredder ring being made of the same material. Once I had it up and running, the 1/2 horsepower worked like a dream, pulverizing and grinding all the food particles and dirt I washed off with my kitchen sink. It even has an overload protector and manual reset just in case anything goes wrong!
For its price and durability to last for years, I would recommend Whirlpool.
- Affordable price
- No plumbing needed when installing
- Quiet motor
- Durable and lasts for years
- Has a manual reset
- Made of stainless steel
- It’s a bit bulky
- May start being louder after
Emerson Evergrind may come at a slightly more high price, but it surely has the features you need for the best waste disposal system. It has the rugged galvanized steel construction for assured durability, as well as the space-saving compact design. But even if it is smaller than what you’re used to, it packs a punch! It’s half a horsepower and works excellently in the household, with it grinding all food particles well without issues or noise. I also like that it has some hidden features, such as the short distance from the skink to the drain outlet port (no more smell or risk of damage), as well as the stainless steel sink ring for a simple design.
With its excellent performance without a fuss, you have assured an investment that will last for years to come.
- Quiet motor
- Works excellently grinds without issues
- Easy to install
- Stainless steel for durability
- A bit expensive
- No power cord included
It may be a bit more expensive than other types of garbage disposals, but the Moen performs as well as you expect and more. Its 1/2 horsepower has the powerful grinding capabilities for any kitchen scraps and reduces the risk of your drainage from clogging or jamming. Plus, it comes with a SoundSHIELD for less sound and a smooth motor.
The Moen garbage disposal is also very easy to install as it already has a power cord and with a universal system that fits many types of Moen and three-bolt mounting capabilities. You save a lot of money and effort through assembly alone. It’s worth every penny!
- Powerful motor
- Quiet when in use
- Has a power cord and easy to install
- Universal mount system
- Has a four-year warranty
- More expensive than others
- Stopper sometimes falls into the machine
8. General Electric GFC520V 1/2 Horsepower Continuous Feed Disposal Large Capacity Food Waste Disposer
Another reputable brand name, General Electric has one of the quality products, with this garbage disposal being one of them. The half a horsepower motor has the effective grinding action that can bring large capacities of particles and whatnot. It also has the EZ Mount installation, including a splash guard and stopper for ease of installation and use.
With its stainless steel and anti-jam grinding blades that are dual swivel, it works like a charm and at such an affordable price! It never died down on me, and I continue to use it.
- Quiet motor
- Excellent performance
- Easy installation
- Inexpensive price
- Small body
- Some issues with the ring
- Some complaints of it being a bit harder to install than others
When it comes to dealing with any form of food wastage in the house, you must make sure that you dispose it correctly and leave no traces that will stink up your home or clog the drains. This is where the best garbage disposal comes along, helping you be able to shred any waste to prevent any problems with your plumbing. It doesn’t only help with your sink, but the environment as well!
Our of all the best garbage disposal products one can invest in, I would recommend the InSinkErator Badget 5 Garbage Disposal the most. At a reasonable price, this garbage disposal is optimal for food disposal, coming with the bring chamber and galvanized steel bring the system. It performs as well as it ‘s easy to install, making it worth the investment. With the quality assembly, compact and durable body, you are assured something built to last and without the hassle of setting up.
I hope that this article on the best garbage disposal helped you become more knowledgeable on what you should invest in for your home. So don’t wait any longer! If you’re in need of an efficient way to reduce waste efficiently at home, then start with an effective garbage disposal for your sink today.
If you have any questions or would like to share our tips and experiences on using any of these garbage disposals, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.